It’s getting muddy outside, which is a really great sign, and means one thing, Spring in Duluth! As it warms up, and we start to get that spring cleaning itch, here’s a checklist to keep in mind as you spruce up your home and prepare for spring and summer.
- Take off the storm windows, and store them. This is also a great time to clean the windows!!
- Clean the gutters: Leaves and debris from Duluth’s many storms could be clogging the downspouts, which can cause water damage to your roof. Cleaning gutters should be done from a secure ladder, not on top of the roof. For a great step-by-step guide to cleaning them, from Lowes, go here.
- Do you have forced air heat? Hopefully you’ve checked the furnace filter and changed it throughout the winter. But, to prepare for next winter check the furnace filter, and replacee it, if it’s dirty. Never done that before? Check out this video!
- With all the snow melting into the ground, if you have even a slightly damp basement (and who doesn’t in Duluth?), get out the dehumidifier to suck that moisture out of the air. This will help prevent mold from growing!
- Clean out the basement. If you have a cold basement like us, piles start accumulating during the winter, since we spend as little time as possible down there. It’s time to sort and throw away all the things that were stashed down there on a trip to the washer and dryer. Just this morning, I heard a familiar chirp. Did a bird get into the house? No, it was just the smoke detector letting us know the battery is getting low. So, test your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to see if the batteries are fresh, or if you need to replace them. And if you need to replace them, do so ASAP.
Do you have any other ideas for making your home spick-and-span for spring? Leave them in the comments. we’d love to hear what you do to tidy up your home for spring!