Spring Home Maintenance Checklist
Keep your home looking and functioning at its best!
Spring is here, and with it, an opportunity to give your home a tune up. In addition to the deep cleaning most of us do this time of year, Spring is the best time to check your home for problem areas and identify bigger repairs or upgrades that need to be done. That way, you can set a budget for those repairs and schedule them throughout the following months. Here are a few ideas to get you started – our Spring Home Maintenance Checklist!
- Roof & Chimney – Check your roof for damaged or missing shingles, as well as rust, cracks, or signs of leaking. If anything doesn’t look right, contact a roofer. Check your chimney for holes or vegetation growing in the joints between bricks or stones and reseal as needed.
- Gutters – Clean and repair gutters and downspouts and seal any holes to prevent leaks. Make sure all downspouts face away from the foundation for proper drainage.
- Windows & Doors—Clean doors, windows, and screens and check for cracks or holes. Also check caulking and weather stripping. Repair as needed.
- Exterior Walls – Check for trouble spots, especially under eaves and near gutter downspouts. For wood siding, look for knots popping out and other openings or damaged areas. Clean siding with a pressure washer to prevent mold.
- Decks and Porches—Check wood for water stains, warping, discoloration, or loose/rusty nails. Make sure railings and stairs are secure. Replace rotting boards and reseal wood as needed.
- Foundation – Check outside and in for cracks or signs of leaking. Contact a professional for any needed repairs. Don’t try to do this one yourself – this is an area you don’t want to skimp on.
- Driveways & Walkways – Inspect for damage and fill in cracks or replace as needed.
- Yard & Landscaping – Clean up debris, trim overgrowth, and get garden beds ready for planting.
- A/C Unit – Inspect hose connections for leaks and make sure drain pans are draining freely. Vacuum dust on the unit and on all connections. Change filters and schedule a tune up with a professional.
- Make a list, set a budget, and schedule repairs – Make a list of the repairs or upgrades you want to do this year so you can prioritize, budget, and get them on the calendar. If you need a professional for any projects, call them now before they’re booked for the season. Need a recommendation? We know some great professionals and would be happy to connect you.
We hope this list helps you get your home in ship-shape this Spring. If you’re considering selling, we’d love to help you prioritize the projects that will help sell your home at top value. Give Brok or Kevin a call, text, or email today for a free Market Analysis. 2019 will be another great year to sell, and we’re here to help when you’re ready!
Curious about how the Duluth area Real Estate Market is looking so far this year?
Click here or on the photos below to read our most recent newsletter for market statistics and more!